Thursday 28 February 2008

The Replacements: All Over But The Shouting

If you're a Replacements enthusiast like myself, you may well be interested in this book, which came out in November. I did mean to write about it then, but I've been lazy and inactive.

In all honesty, I've been getting mixed reviews about this book, and I'm yet to get round to purchasing it, or even having the time on my hands to read it. The unread pile of books I currently have is getting a bit stupid.

As I would expect, the book contains quotes from Green Day's Billie Joe and REM's Peter Buck, I think it'll probably also feature quotes from Soul Asylum's Dave Pirner, the likes of Bob Mould, and maybe even a bit from top writer Gina Arnold.

It's getting a tad bit boring of me to keep on typing "favourite band" and crap like that practically every time I mention anyone, but The Replacements still remain one of the few bands who have genuinely "changed my life". Without sounding too twattish, they really hold a massive place in my heart.

So, Amazon.com readers gave it an average of 4/5, the UK version gave it 3/5, including one review of 1/5 which seemed to be from a fan who knew his onions to my eyes.

The book is by Jim Walsh, I suppose I should reserve my judgement until I get round to buying it and giving it a good once over. You can read a few reviews and soundbites here.

Meanwhile, if you're interested in reading a bit more about The Replacements and all associated with that era and their influence, you could do a lot worse than checking out the following:

Our Band Could Be Your Life: Scenes from the American Indie Underground 1981-1991 by Michael Azerrad

and

Route 666: On the Road to Nirvana by Gina Arnold.

Both books offer lots of information and look at "the scene" and the bands from different angles. Gina Arnold's book features one of my favourite quotes ever from Paul Westerberg:

"Ha is the first word in happiness, and the last word in lonesome is me"

To some that doesn't mean much, but it's genius to me.

I'll get round to reading this in the summer and do a proper review then.

No comments: