Wednesday 27 February 2008

Nada Surf - Lucky

Nada Surf’s new album marks a real polish to their sound and a sense of maturity from the opening song to the end of the album. I’m so happy that 2008 has begun with an album of such beauty and such depth. Lucky is a joy from start to finish, with layers upon layers of melody and vocals.

At times, the album reminds me of Tom Petty at his most productive with Beautiful Beat and I Like What You Say, and My Morning Jacket at their most effervescent with Are You Lightning. The New York trio manage to produce the sound of West Coast bands from years gone by in other places, echoing The Byrds and Buffalo Springfield. It’s quite possibly the most consistent album I’ve heard for a while, I don’t want to skip any track at all, which for cynical old me is quite impressive.

With guest appearances from members of Death Cab For Cutie and Calexico amongst others, Nada Surf have managed to produce a fulfilling and special album with an incredible sound. Nada Surf are the type of band who’ll steal your heart away, evident with the closing The Film Did Not Go Round, almost gospel and hymn-like, and making you want more.

In an age when so many bands with no soul are splurging their hideous guitar pop, it’s a joy to listen to fantastic, grown up pop music. Tremendous work, and the more I listen to it, the more infectious it becomes, like a juggernaut to my heart.

5/5


Originally published on the official NARC. website. You can also get more information on NARC. magazine, including outlets, at their MySpace.

No comments: