Saturday 1 March 2008

Not Another Black Kids Post?

Alright, I've tried to ween myself away from constantly throwing accolades at Black Kids, I've tried to stop enthusing about them, I've tried to stop myself from writing another post about them, I've tried not to become one of those annoying cunts who says "I was listening to them before they were big", I've tried not to be the stereotypical blogger.

Unfortunately, I do need to write some more about Black Kids, but this time it's a little bit of negativity, rather than the cock-sucking you may have become accustomed to.

I've just heard a new version of "I'm Not Gonna Teach.." this morning, I presume that this is the single version that I've heard this morning. I hope to God that it isn't. Although it may grow on me, and I might change my mind within a couple of months, at this moment in time I'm absolutely appalled.

I'd like to think that what I've heard is just some remix, and not the official newly recorded single version.

The first time I heard the demo I was 18 again, I was full of energy, I was smiling. The guitar intro, and the drums and synths on 6 seconds, form one of the best introductions to any song I've heard in years. However, the version of the song that I've heard today seems to have removed the guitars, and seems to have got rid of the synths that form the foundation of the chorus and make the song so huge.

It does seem that what I've heard is the single version, though. The new recording has a change to the second verse, with the "1, 2, 3, 4" being replaced with a "dance, dance, dance, dance", and Reggie's second "ever since I was a little girl" in the second verse disappearing. The whole soul of the song has been ripped apart, leaving just another random electronic song with quirky lyrics. No charm, no energy, it no longer makes me feel like I'm a teenager and I can do anything again.

As mentioned above, I really hope that what I've heard is just a remix of the single and not the official single. It'd be an absolute tragedy if they, the label, Bernard Butler, or whoever else may be responsible, has destroyed what would potentially have been the biggest single of the year.

We'll just have to wait and see I suppose, but going on what I've heard this morning, things might well be fucked up before they even get started.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heard a new version of this on that twat Jo Whiley's show t'other day. Sounds like it had been destroyed. Cunts... With Love.....

Fear and Folklore said...

Aye, the version I'd heard when I made this post was the remix by The Twelves which is available on the iTunes exclusive package, I'm still not convinced about it. The version on Jo Whiley sounds like the new single version like, bit disappointed as well. Not fussed on the production, the tempo is totally different and the chorus seems to have a stupid effect put on it to make it sound like it's being played in an auditorium with loads of echo. I think the chorus was big enough on the demo as it was without having to try and make it bigger and fuck things up a bit. Never mind, best wishes