Wednesday 27 February 2008

Scene And Heard - Local Reviews, Published in NARC. #24

The Secret History – Virgin On Legal

I bet that this lot are all really good musicians; in fact I know they are after listening to this album. But, and this is a big but, the music itself is just so inexplicably and horrifically bland and uninspiring. It’s just nothing, a big pile of nothing. It does nothing at all for me, I actually feel terrible for not liking this. I can’t begin to imagine how much time and love and care went in to this album, but when I listen to it, all I hear is shit. I genuinely hope that other people will like this band, I’m sure there are people who will like them, but I just can’t and I’m trying to be really nice about it. They are a bit like an Aldi Muse I suppose, but I don’t even like the normal Muse, but maybe you’d like them if you like that type of nonsense. I don’t, and I did try.

Visit the Secret History MySpace.


Shootfirst Strategy

Whales and Dolphins! Whales and Dolphins, Yeh! Remember that one? That’s who this band of tinkers reminds me of. This all feels a bit rushed to me, maybe it’s meant to be part of the charm, you know when bands like to appear shambolic when they’re actually genuinely good at what they do? That’s the difference, bands that are good at what they do can pretend to be shambolic, if you aren’t that good to start with, you just look like idiots. That’s what is going on here. The singer struggles to get the notes at times, and at other times the bass and the drums seem to be from completely different songs. But hey, as long as they’re enjoying themselves, then who cares, right? That’s what being in a band is about surely, enjoying yourself with your mates. As long as they don’t aspire to do more than just that, then they’ll be fine. Otherwise, keep practising and try to ignore people like me.

Visit the Shootfirst Strategy MySpace.


Barse – If You Can’t Fuck ‘Em, Cut ‘Em Up

I’ll say it from the start, if you don’t like punk rock, you’re wasting your time, as you’ll never enjoy this. However, I do enjoy this. So fuck if they only know a few chords, so fuck if it sounds dated, so fuck if the production isn’t the best, so fuck if some of the lyrics are weak. Who cares? I don’t. That’s the point. I can only imagine that the album is as close as you could get to the live shows. The whole reason this is good and a lot of the other stuff that “the kids” are doing is shite, is because this has got a bit of soul. It’s honest, it’s in your face, and it’s from the heart. It’s a big fuck you to over-produced twaddle and a finger to “the man”. This is music at its most sincere, harking back to the golden age of British punk bands that didn’t make it on to our TV screens and radio’s. Try it if that’s your bag.

Visit the Barse MySpace.


Ryoga

Here’s another one of those local bands that you may have missed. By no means one of the leading lights in the north east, but why not? They’re really good. This contains plenty of brilliant ideas and influences scattered throughout. Imagine mixing up some retro electronica with a bit of prog-rock and you’ll be near the sound. It’s a very good effort which deserves your attention. It’s moody, atmospheric, glorious and challenging. I can’t stop dancing around to Ricky Got A Girlfriend, which places me somewhere between Air, Stakka Bo and a big fat Floyd guitar line. There’s just so much going on here, so many different things to discover every time you listen. From the shimmering ethereal beauty of I Don’t Know What I Did Last Summer, to the Daft Punk-esque stomp of the addictive Delorian Daze, there’s something here for everyone. Absolutely fantastic.

Visit the Ryoga MySpace.


Les Cox (Sportifs)

This Les Cox (Sportifs) album is lots of fun if you’re inclined to bounce along to lo-fi rock and roll. The music has a real purity about it, nothing flash at all, just what any good old fashioned tune needs, a decent bit of rhythm and a decent bit of melody. The lyrics are quirky with an almost Richman like quality, with the music sounding like some sort of 1950’s radio stomper and a Velvet Underground rarity mixed together. A lovely warm recording and lovely vocals give this effort its biggest plus points. If you like that Jonathan Richman type of thing, then I’m sure that you’ll love this. The only thing I dislike is the Purple Rose of Cairo instrumental track which just seems to be a bit of an improvisation and is out of place with the rest of the songs. Good work nonetheless.

Visit the Les Cox (Sportifs) MySpace.



Whilst NARC. is currently available in all good record shops, pubs, practice rooms etc. etc. View more information on NARC. magazine, including outlets, at their MySpace, and at their website.

No comments: