Saturday 7 April 2007

The National - Boxer


The National's follow up to "Alligator" has been leaked, so it would clearly be rude not to listen to one of the most eagerly anticipated records of 2007.

I would quite easily describe "Alligator" as one of the best albums I've listened to in the past five years, so for me, it was going to be hard to follow.

However, after giving the album time, I don't think The National have just followed it, they've also surpassed it.

This album is beautiful and this band needs to be in your life. The songs are sketches of our lives, tableau's of relationships, cut scenes of conversations, it's quite simply brilliant. Every tune has been crafted and formulated into a sublime series of monologues.

I once had a conversation about The National at a gig with somebody that I barely knew. He described "Alligator" as the perfect 'break-up' album after splitting up with his girlfriend. I'm so happy that I'm not going through a break-up at the moment, because half of the songs on this album would have me bawling my eyes out.

"Start A War" particularly, is one of the prettiest songs on the album. To me, it's all about a couple getting back together for one more try, with "I'll get money, I'll get funny again". It's heartbreaking listening.

As with "Alligator", the lyrics stand out. The songs, especially songs such as "Apartment Story" and "Guest Room" are depictions of American life that Edward Hopper didn't quite get round to painting. Awkward silences, self doubt, painful glances, tense stilted characters.

Not since I really got into Dylan in a big way as a kid, have I heard a record where imagery has been so startlingly captured.

I genuinely believe that The National are one of the most important bands in the world right now. As soon as you can, get this album and devour it, fall in love with this band, turn your lights off and just as Matt Berninger sings, put your "arms around the stereo for hours".

An absolute epic.


"Boxer" is out on the 21st May.

No comments: