Saturday 1 September 2007

Thurston - Trees Outside The Academy (Ecstatic Peace!), Published in NARC. #18

Twelve years has passed since Thurston Moore released solo album Psychic Hearts. The Sonic Youth frontman has now returned with another solo attempt.

I’m not a fan of Sonic Youth; I’ve always found the music to be inaccessible. I bought a couple of records ten years ago, thinking that I had to get Sonic Youth into my life. I ended up returning them after one listen.

However, this is very accessible. I’ve always considered Moore as a talented guitarist but never really held his writing in high regard. The first five songs of the album totally changed my opinion.

In parts it’s a glossier Roman Candle-era Elliott Smith, with the stripped down acoustic guitar and bass.

First song Frozen Gtr is a laid back affair, with J Mascis closing the song out with his instantly recognisable “shredding”, whilst next track The Shape Is In A Trance seems to borrow the riff from REM’s The One I Love, with violin creating the pathos.

The stand out track is easily Honest James, a haunting song which could’ve been taken from Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan’s Ballad Of The Broken Seas, with Moore being joined by the amazing Christina Carter of Charalambides.

The album starts to lose its way a little after the beautiful Silver>Blue and the merrier, macabre Fri/End. The remaining songs seem to be made up of impromptu jams, as well as unfinished sketches.

It is a decent enough album though, if it wasn’t for the instrumentals, it really could’ve been one of the albums of the year. I certainly wouldn’t take this back after one listen.

Released: 17th September, 2007


NARC. is currently available in all good record shops, pubs, practice rooms etc. etc. View more information on NARC. magazine, including outlets, at their MySpace, and at their website.

No comments: