Thursday 31 May 2007

Oppenheimer / Mushi Mushi at Independent, Sunderland - Live Review, Published in NARC. # 15

First it was 9pm, then 9.30pm, then 10pm, I have no idea what time it was, but support act Mushi Mushi were finally forced on to the stage. Ten of us stood in the vacant space, whilst three sat in "comfy chairs". It was loud, I found myself being an old person, thinking "oooh, turn it down" in my head, but the noises got louder and more penetrable. They weren't my cup of tea. I have to admire their tenacity though, for playing to a bakers dozen of us, in a seedy room that smelt of an old person's sitting room.

A change of scenery on stage, and Belfast duo Oppenheimer are ready to go. The place has filled up a bit more. Looking around at the barely legal girls and the fresh faced boys, I start to feel old again. But then something wonderful happens, Oppenheimer start playing.

Suddenly I don't feel like a 28 year old having an early mid-life crisis, suddenly I feel as if I'm one of these 18 year olds again, I just wish I'd get ID'd at the bar instead of the girl looking at me as if I was a sick old pervert.

Oppenheimer are a big shiny plane, dropping pop parcels with parachutes to the needy. I find myself singing along, and bopping my head up and down like a Churchill dog on the back window of some scamps Renault Clio.

In the darkness and smokiness of Independent, it could almost be the summertime, as Oppenheimer's electro-pop seeps into my ears like a runny egg yolk from a bacon sandwich.

The chorus of "This Is Not A Test" makes me want to cry, "Breakfast in NYC" makes me want to dance, and if I hadn't already been converted, single "Saturday Looks Bad To Me" makes me want to force feed this band on a big giant spoon to everyone that I meet.

It's not often that I venture to Sunderland, and it's even less often that I expect to fall head over heels in love with a band. Oppenheimer are outstanding.



You can get more information about Oppenheimer at their MySpace, or at their website. Their album is available now.

More information on Mushi Mushi can be found at their MySpace, too.

Whilst NARC. is currently available in all good record shops, pubs, practice rooms etc. etc. View more information on NARC. magazine, including outlets, at their MySpace, and at their website.

No comments: