Tuesday 3 July 2007

Scene And Heard - Local Reviews, Published in NARC. #16

URBAN CIRCUITS
Urban Circuits (album)
Out now

It starts off extremely grim, more like the soundtrack to a film, maybe with a man walking through the desert with lots of religious imagery going on around him.
I’m quite dumbfounded by all of this to be honest. I’m not entirely sure whether Urban Circuits are a really bad, ill-thought out joke, or if they are actually serious. Its lyrics are like sixth form poetry from pencil cases and toilet walls. I’m happy that this is a CD that I can turn off; I fear that if I ever went to see them live, I might get stuck in the venue forever, like some sort of bad dream. When they do a bit of melody, and put the spoken verse bullshit and sloganeering to one side, it is listenable. But as much as Ophelia is a brief respite from the crap, the rest of it is unbearable to me. Imagine a Gothic Gogol Bordello at times, or some drama students on crack at others. I’m sure that the pretentious music listeners will dig this, it’s doing nothing for me though.

Visit the Urban Circuits' MySpace


DIRTY WEEKEND
Red Mist EP
Out now on Matchstick Records

Boasting a CV of support slots for The Pigeon Detectives and Little Man Tate, Dirty Weekend are certainly the type of thing that the youth of today may listen to. It’s all pleasant enough. The only problem that I have is that the songs don’t quite have the riff or the chorus to hook me in completely. I don’t doubt that they work hard on their tunes, but they’re just lacking that little bit of something special at the moment. The songs are all pretty rigid in their structure, without much adventure or direction. The standard progression of verses and choruses is there, as well as the quiet interlude/guitar solo before the final, climatic chorus. I don’t think they’ve quite found their own sound yet. In King Of The Rats, we have Paul Smith-esque “accent rock”, whilst the ballsy vocals of Look At Me, with its almost ShitDisco stylings, only confuses me more. If they do find their own sound, they could have something.

Visit Dirty Weekend's MySpace

ANTENNAS TO HEAVEN
Gravy Is Gravy
Released as download only on 02.07.2007

The Gravy Is Gravy single is released on the 2nd of July. This is wonderful stuff. The duo infects my brain with all the post-rock pomp of a Godspeed You Black Emperor or a Mogwai. Atmospherically bouncing along with what could be an Alex de Large monologue over the top, it’s quite uplifting. I love the fact that it doesn’t go down the same route as a lot of spoken word songs, which can end up contrived and too arty-farty. It’s the perfect balance of everything that is right, sticking to what they know, without going over board and spoiling things, they’re right, “gravy is gravy, there’s no need for mayonnaise”. You could do a lot worse than getting hold of this.

Visit Antennas To Heaven MySpace and their website


THE MOSAICS
The Mosaics
Released 25.07.2007

Commercial radio friendly rock by numbers. This isn’t anything at all that a million and one unsigned bands across the country aren’t already doing. Do we really need another watered down Coldplay type band? There was once a time that bands like Oasis, Blur and Pulp ignited something inside me, making me feel free and liberated and yearning for a new future. This modern take on British music puts me in an orange boiler suit and chains me to a radiator, whilst a laughing soldier takes polaroids of his comrade wanking on my forehead. Absolutely dreadful. I’m sorry if I offend this bands friends and pushy parent management, but please go and get some new ideas. I barely made it to the end of this album without losing the will to live. I have no doubt they have the talent, but they definitely don’t have the tunes. Glossy production and fashionista don’t always equal success if there is no substance, I’m afraid.

Visit The Mosaics' MySpace


THE BURNING DICE
Temper Temper
Released 24.03.2007 on Hello Trouble Records

Once it gets going, the single chugs along like a pretty little New Wave train, with its soaring vocals, like a young, fun Broken Social Scene celebrating the spirit of The Album Leaf. The second track, The European, is much more upbeat, an all out audio assault leaving you worn out and needing to have a sit down, slippers on and a cup of cocoa. Meanwhile, the final track, Jagalie, is the stand out song for me. I personally would’ve went with this as the single, slowly building you up from the dysphoria of being “trapped in a heart attack” to a state of euphoria with the closing hoe down.
Grab a listen at…

The Burning Dice MySpace



Whilst NARC. is currently available in all good record shops, pubs, practice rooms etc. etc. View more information on NARC. magazine, including outlets, at their MySpace, and at their website.

No comments: