Monday 5 May 2008

Bit of an Update

I did these singles reviews a while back now, so they're wholly irrelevant, but I've only got round to updating this place just now, only 3-4 weeks left of studies before I have my life back.

The Long Blondes – Century

This single has a bit of a dark 80’s feel about it that doesn’t really sit too well with me. It sounds a bit like the type of music that might be played at a disco for scary weirdo people. Imagine if a TV detective was hunting down a member of some sick and depraved cult and their investigations led them to some underground discotheque. The dance floor would be full of people who look like the scary woman from that Shakespears Sister video, and they’d all be drinking blood from Gothic chalices and grinding and writhing around to this song. It’s pretty awful and makes me feel extremely uncomfortable; I probably wouldn’t like to listen to this song at night on a walk alone in the park, in case the weirdo people dressed in leather cat suits jumped out from a bush and drank my blood. The Long Blondes have managed to create a knife wielding maniac of a song which, after 16 listens, doesn’t seem to have any form of redeeming qualities. All in all a terribly depressing and frightening song that will turn teenagers into scary weirdo people, and that’s not a good thing.


The Xcerts – Do You Feel Safe?

Biffy Clyro, Biffy Clyro and Biffy Clyro. This is who The Xcerts so obviously sound like. This single is no exception to that. Aside from any Biffy comparisons, The Xcerts, from Aberdeen, try to cling desperately to their Scottish accents through the forced American vocals. “Emo” isn’t my bag in fairness, so maybe I’m biased. But this song conjures up everything I hate about that whole “suburban kid in generic black hoody with his nails painted black” sub-culture. Bland is probably too complimentary for this shower of filth. In answer to the song title, no I don’t feel safe, I feel physically sick in all honesty. To my ears, there’s far too much shouting, far too much stupid big drums, far too much “wow, I’ve got a new distortion pedal”, and far too much weak and uninspiring lyrical content. However, if you like that sort of carry on, then you’ll probably love to listen to this whilst shagging on a gravestone and moaning on about how you hate the world. Outrageous stereotypes put away to one side, this is truly horrible and a massive disappointment from a much talked about band.

No comments: